Last Thursday we had a great gathering of about 25-30 educators for the first official Appy Hour at BJ’s Brewhouse in Cupertino. Everyone shared ideas, classroom projects, new software that they found useful for working with their students. Some of the great ideas that were shared are:
- Creating games around content on Futaba – which is an iPad app that a middle school and elementary school teacher are using. Ideas brainstormed were having the MS students create games for the elementary school students.
- Another teacher uses Audioboo in conjunction with Edmodo to give feedback and instructions to students.
- An elementary teacher has a class podcast that students take turns creating each week.
- Several teachers shared they like using the Zongle app for educational games.
- Hour of Code was a big hit at schools that participated in introducing coding to students. Students went through the list of tutorials at http://csedweek.org/learn, starting with http://learn.code.org/hoc/1. Students were excited and are continuing to code on their own time during recess and lunch!
We will be hosting the next Appy Hour for all Cupertino teachers and staff on Thursday, Jan. 9th, 3:30- 5:30 @BJ’s Brewhouse on DeAnza Blvd.. We’ll provide the food and you can BYOD (Bring Your Own Device, or Buy Your Own Drink). If you are interested presenting a 5 min example of something you do in your class, please email: email@example.com.